- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb cooking apples peeled, cored and sliced
- grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
- artificial sweetener to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons muesli cereal
- 1 oz low-fat spread
- 2 dessert apples sliced
- 1/4 pint apple juice
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of the gelatine in the water in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Poach the cooking apples with the lemon rind and juice and a few tablespoons of water until tender. Add sweetener to taste and beat in the egg yolk. Stir in the gelatine.
- Bake the muesli in the oven for 8 minutes. Mix with the low-fat spread while still hot. Spread the muesli over the base of a loose-bottomed 18 cm/7 inch cake tin. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Poach the dessert apple slices gently in the apple juice for about 3 minutes; remove carefully and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Dissolve the remaining gelatine in 2 tablespoons of the apple juice in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir in the remaining apple juice.
- Spread the apple puree over the muesli base; arrange the apple slices on top. Spoon over the apple juice glaze and chill for 4 hours.
Oven temperature: 190 °C, 375 °F, gas 5,
Calories: 250 kcal
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 53 mg
Sodium: 45 mg
Potassium: 334 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 29 g
Vitamin A: 258 IU
Vitamin C: 11 mg
Calcium: 22 mg
Iron: 2 mg