Chinese Shark's Fin Soup (Yu-Chi-Tang)
This is one of the great festive dishes of China and is served on special occasions.
- 2 Tbs Sesame oil
- 1 Spring onion scallion, finely chopped
- piece Fresh root ginger 2 1/2 cm (1 in) peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Chinese dried mushrooms soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, drained and sliced
- 2 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 1/2 pints Chicken stock
- 4 oz Ready-prepared shark's fin soaked for 1 hour in cold water and drained
- 8 oz Boned chicken breast shredded
- 8 oz Peeled small prawns or shrimps
- 1 1/2 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs Cornflour cornstarch, blended with 1 Tbs chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the spring onion (scallion), ginger, mushrooms and wine or sherry and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over half the chicken stock, add the shark's fin and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, prawns or shrimps and soy sauce.
- Pour in the remaining chicken stock and the cornflour (cornstarch) mixture, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve at once.
Calories: 194 kcal
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 77 mg
Sodium: 563 mg
Potassium: 466 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 63 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 1 mg