Chinese Noodles in Meat Sauce with Shredded Vegetables
This is one of the classic peasant dishes of Peking and, unlike most Chinese dishes, is a meal in itself. Traditionally, each diner is given a bowl of noodles to which he adds as much meat sauce and shredded vegetables as he likes.
- 1 lb Noodles or spaghetti
- 3 Tbs Vegetable oil
- 1 Medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 4 cm 1 1/2 in piece Fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 12 oz Lean pork or beef minced (ground)
- 1 Tbs Sesame oil
- 5 Tbs Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 Tbs Cornflour cornstarch, blended with 4 Tbs chicken stock
- 4 oz Shredded cabbage blanched for 4 minutes and drained (a heaped side-dishful)
- 4 oz Shredded carrots blanched for 4 minutes and drained (a heaped side-dishful)
- 4 oz Bean sprouts blanched for 1 minute and drained (a heaped side-dishful)
- 4 oz Shredded cucumber a heaped side-dishful
- 3 oz Shredded radishes a saucerful
- 2 oz Mixed pickles a saucerful
- 2 oz Chutney a saucerful
- Arrange the shredded vegetables, pickles and chutney on individual serving dishes. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles or spaghetti in boiling, salted water until they are just tender. Drain, set aside and keep hot.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying-pan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the pork or beef and stir-fry until it loses its pinkness. Stir in the sesame oil, soy sauce, wine or sherry and sugar, and stir-fry for a further 3 minutes. Stir in the cornflour (cornstarch) mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and becomes translucent. Remove from the heat and transfer the sauce to a warmed serving bowl. Keep hot.
- Divide the noodles or spaghetti between four individual serving bowls. Serve at once, with the meat sauce and shredded vegetables.
Calories: 858 kcal
Carbohydrates: 103 g
Protein: 34 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 1699 mg
Potassium: 864 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 12 g
Vitamin A: 5151 IU
Vitamin C: 25 mg
Calcium: 93 mg
Iron: 4 mg