Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
This chicken and vegetable casserole is a delicious recipe for a weeknight dinner that the whole family will love.
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 3 - 4 celery sticks roughly chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 turnips peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small swede peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 chicken portions weighing about 6 oz each, skinned
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1/2 pint chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Put half of the vegetables in a casserole. Put the chicken portions on top and cover with the remaining vegetables. Add the bay leaf, bouquet garni, stock, salt and pepper to taste.
- If using a flameproof casserole, bring to the boil on top of the cooker and skim.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Skim off any fat and serve.
- If you cook this casserole the day before, it can be put in the refrigerator overnight and reheated for 30 minutes before serving. The fat is easier to remove when cold.
Oven temperature: 180°C, 350°F, gas 4.
Calories: 386 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 26 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 88 mg
Sodium: 892 mg
Potassium: 1115 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 14 g
Vitamin A: 10672 IU
Vitamin C: 59 mg
Calcium: 192 mg
Iron: 5 mg