Add peeled, chopped tomatoes to the sauce and scatter some crispy, fried bacon bits on top to make a complete supper dish. Serve on own or as an accompaniment to grilled or roast meat.
- 1 green cabbage weighing approximately 1 lb, coarsely shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 juniper berries crushed (optional)
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz plain flour
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1/4 pint single cream
- pinch of white pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 oz good melting cheese e.g. Leicester, Cheddar, grated
- 1/2 oz butter
- Heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Cook the cabbage until just tender, but still crisp, in boiling salted water. Drain thoroughly and mix in the juniper berries, if used.
- Make a thick creamy sauce with the butter, flour, milk and cream mixed. Add salt, peppers and nutmeg, then taste and adjust seasoning; the sauce should be very highly flavoured.
- Stir the cabbage into the sauce and pour into a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Sprinkle over the cabbage and sauce and top with flecks of butter.
- Cook for about 15 minutes and then raise the heat to 220C/425F/Gas
- for 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the top is crisp and bubbling.
Calories: 316 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 66 mg
Sodium: 805 mg
Potassium: 472 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 907 IU
Vitamin C: 85 mg
Calcium: 200 mg
Iron: 2 mg