Aubergines Cooked on a Slow Fire (Indian)
- 20 Aubergines baingan, small, oval / round
- 5 floz Vegetable oil
- 12 Dry red chillies sookhi lal mirch
- 2 tsp Cumin jeera seeds
- 3 tsp Black pepper kali mirch powder
- 10 Green cardamom choti elaichi
- 5 Cinnamon dalchini, 1 inch sticks
- 1 Bay leaf tej patta
- 10 Cloves laung
- 4 tbsp Malt vinegar sirka
- 5 oz Onion paste
- 1 1/4 oz Ginger adrak paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 1 1/4 oz Garlic lasan paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Green coriander hara dhaniya, chopped
- Trim the steins of the aubergines. Slit open each aubergine crosswise, without disjoining it from the stem.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Add dry red chillies, cumin seeds, black pepper, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, cloves, and cumin seeds; saute on medium heat for 5 - 6 minutes. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Mix in vinegar to make a fine paste.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Fry the aubergines, a few at a time, for 5 - 6 minutes or until they are half cooked. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil; saute the onion paste on medium heat until lightly coloured.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes, turmeric powder, and the ground spice-paste. Stir and cook on medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add salt and 2/3 cup hot water. Cook until the water evaporates and oil separates from the sauce.
- Arrange the fried aubergines in the sauce. Stir very carefully, cover and cook on low heat (dum) or in a slow oven for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with green coriander.
Calories: 857 kcal
Carbohydrates: 138 g
Protein: 23 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 62 mg
Potassium: 4836 mg
Fiber: 62 g
Sugar: 71 g
Vitamin A: 1495 IU
Vitamin C: 208 mg
Calcium: 323 mg
Iron: 8 mg