- 2 1/2 lb aubergines
- 5 oz ricotta cheese
- 5 oz smoked semi-hard cheese coarsely grated
- 5 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp fine fresh or dry breadcrumbs
- 1 small clove garlic peeled and finely grated
- generous pinch oregano
- 4 basil leaves or small pinch dried basil
- 4 eggs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) mark 6.
- Rinse the aubergines, place directly on the centre shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway through this time.
- Take them out of the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C) mark 4.
- Trim off the ends of the aubergines and peel; cut lengthwise into quarters and remove the seeds if there are any. Cut the flesh into small pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Reduce to a smooth pulp with a fork or potato masher; blend in the ricotta, the grated smoked cheese, the Parmesan, 3 tbsp of the breadcrumbs, garlic, oregano and the basil leaves torn into small pieces.
- Beat the eggs briefly with 1 tsp salt, plenty of freshly ground pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Mix well with the aubergine and cheese mixture.
- Lightly oil a 9 1/2 - 10 in (24 cm) quiche dish about 1 1/2 in (4 cm) deep. Spread the mixture out in it evenly and sprinkle the surface with the remaining breadcrumbs. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Calories: 426 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 26 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 224 mg
Sodium: 523 mg
Potassium: 823 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 891 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 478 mg
Iron: 3 mg