makes 12 pairs
1/3 cup (75 g) butter or block margarine
1 1/3 cup (5 1/2 oz) 150 g self raising (self rising) flour
1/4 cup (4 Tbls) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1 egg yolk
1 tsp liquid coffee essence
fat for greasing
for the filling
coffee butter icing (see below)
icing sugar (confectioners sugar) for dusting (optional)
for the coffee butter icing
1 1/2 cups + 3 tbls (250 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1 stick (8 Tbsp)4 oz (100 g) butter, softened
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp hot water
1. Heat the oven to fairly hot, 190°C, gas mark 5.
2. Rub the fat into the flour, then stir in the sugar.
3. Mix the egg yolk with the coffee essence and use to bind the dry ingredients together to a stiff paste.
4. Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a walnut and place on a greased baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. When cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack.
7. Use the coffee butter icing (see below) to sandwich the biscuits together in pairs.
8. If liked, dust with icing sugar.
to make coffee butter icing
1. Dissolve the cocoa in 1 tbsp hot water. Cool.
2. Sift the icing sugar and add gradually to the butter with the cocoa and water, beating until the icing is smooth and of a soft spreading consistency.