175 g (6 oz) shortcrust pastry
1 lb (450 g) cooking applks, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 tbls (25 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
410 g (14 1/2 oz) jar mincemeat
2 oz (50 g) ground rice
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
30 ml (2 level tbsp) treacle (molasses)
30 ml (2 level tbsp) golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
3 oz (75 g) cornflakes
1. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 1.1-litre (2-pint) pie dish.
2. Bake blind in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 20 minutes.
3. Mix together the apple slices, sugar, mincemeat, ground rice, grated lemon rind and juice and the egg.
4. Spoon into the pastry case.
5. Melt together the treacle, syrup and butter, and pour over the cornflakes. Mix well until the cereal is coated, then use to cover the apple filling.
6. Bake in the oven at 175°c (375°F) mark 5 tor about 45 minutes, until the top is set and the apples cooked, covering with foil after 10 minutes.
7. Serve hot with custard.