Rajbhog (Cardamom and pistachio-stuffed cottage cheese dumplings)
- 12 floz Full-cream milk
- 1 oz Sugar
- 1 1/2 oz Pistachios pista, grated
- 5 Green cardamom choti elaichi, crushed
for the dumplings:
- 2 1/3 pint Full-cream milk
- 2 floz Lemon nimbu juice
for the syrup:
- 2 1/3 pint Water
- 3.3 lb Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water 1/2 tsp Rose water (gulab jal)
- For the filling, boil the full-cream milk and sugar in a pan till the milk is reduced to half. Add pistachios and green cardamom; cook until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Keep aside.
- For the dumplings, heat the milk on high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and add lemon juice to curdle the milk. Remove from heat.
- Pour this cheese-whey mixture into a moist cheesecloth. Pick up the cheesecloth by its corners, twist it loosely just to seal the cheese inside and rinse under a tap for a few minutes. Hang the cloth for 20-30 minutes to allow the excess water to drain.
- Remove the soft cottage cheese-on a clean work surface and crumble it. Divide into 8 portions and flatten each slightly. Also divide the filling equally into 8 portions and place one in the centre of each patty. Roll into balls.
- For the syrup, boil the sugar and water in a pan, till the sugar dissolves. Gently slide in the prepared balls. Boil for 20 minutes, adding the dissolved cornstarch to thicken the consistency of the syrup.
- Remove from heat and let the dumplings cool. Sprinkle rose water and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Calories: 967 kcal
Carbohydrates: 210 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 120 mg
Potassium: 349 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 207 g
Vitamin A: 45 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 31 mg
Iron: 1 mg