Latticed Gooseberry Tart
- 10 oz shortcrust pastry defrosted if frozen
- little beaten egg for glazing
- caster sugar for dredging
- custard or cream to serve
For the Filling
- 8 oz gooseberries topped and tailed if fresh, defrosted and well drained if frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 oz sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
- Cut off one-third of the pastry and reserve. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining pastry and use to line a 23 cm/9 inch pie plate.
- Mix the gooseberries with the breadcrumbs, sugar and mint, if using. Spoon into the pastry-lined pie plate and spread evenly. Brush the edges of the pastry with water.
- Use the reserved pastry to make a lattice decoration over the tart. Brush the pastry lattice with beaten egg.
- Bake the tart in the oven, just above the centre, for 20 minutes; then lower the heat to 190C/375F/ Gas 5 and bake for about 15 minutes
- more, until the gooseberries are tender. Cover the top with greaseproof paper if the pastry is browning too quickly.
- Remove the tart from the oven and sift caster sugar thickly over the top. Serve hot, warm or cold, with custard or cream.
Calories: 284 kcal
Carbohydrates: 54 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 380 mg
Potassium: 175 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 165 IU
Vitamin C: 16 mg
Calcium: 31 mg
Iron: 3 mg