Hot And Sour Soup
This soup is a speciality of the province of Szechuan in western China and has a most unusual but very attractive taste. Sesame oil can be obtained from health food or Chinese provision stores.
- 2 Tbs Sesame oil
- 2 Medium onions finely chopped
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 2 pints Chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp Monosodium glutamate MSG, (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz Bean sprouts
- 2 Chinese dried mushrooms soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, drained and chopped
- 4 oz Canned bamboo shoot drained and finely chopped
- 4 oz Cooked chicken finely diced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and fry until they are soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour to form a smooth paste.
- Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients until they are well blended and the mixture is smooth.
- Return the pan to moderate heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Transfer the soup to a warmed tureen and serve at once.
Calories: 181 kcal
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Sodium: 581 mg
Potassium: 409 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 30 IU
Vitamin C: 19 mg
Calcium: 30 mg
Iron: 2 mg