You may be asking yourself, “why do I need the best spice grinder when I can just use pre-ground spices”. Well, you could but the flavor of the spices will not be near as strong and flavorful as if you ground them up fresh. Once spices have been ground, they begin to oxidize and lose their potency. Freshly ground spices are always going to be better.
Well, then you may ask, “why can’t I just use a mortar and pestle or a pepper mill to grind my spices?”. Well, you can and that way they would still be fresh, but most spice grinders are electric and will grind the spices very fast and much finer than any other tool out there. A spice grinder will do all the work for you in seconds. Plus, you can put all the spices in at once and grind all together rather than refilling a pepper mill and grinding them individually.
Spice grinders also double as coffee grinders. They have the ability to grind coffee beans for your morning coffee and there is nothing like fresh ground coffee beans compared to pre-bought coffee grounds. It makes a world of difference.
In this article we will go over the different types of spice grinders and what to look for when purchasing a new model. We will also cover some of the spice grinders available for purchase on the market today and which one may be the right fit for you and your family.
How to Choose the Best Spice Grinder
Choosing the best spice grinder should not be that difficult as long as you are looking for a quality product. A spice grinder is a little more of a complex machine than a garlic press or a chef knife due to all the moving parts so it is wise to make sure the inner workings will not break right away and last a lifetime.
Most spice grinders are automatic or electric for that matter so you need to make sure all the inner workings are made with quality materials. To make sure your spice grinder is a quality product, it is best to purchase one that is covered by a warranty that protects it from any defects or damages that may occur while in use.
You also want to make sure the spice grinder comes with a strong motor that is capable of grinding even the hardest of ingredients like nuts or coffee beans and won’t overheat during the grinding process. Just remember, just because the product is expensive, doesn’t always mean it is the best. Make sure to look at the specs and read through the comments of past users to find a quality spice grinder.
Make sure the spice grinder is easy to use and you are comfortable using it as well. No point in buying a product you don’t know how to use. An added bonus would be to purchase a spice grinder that is easily cleaned. Some models have containers that come off the base and can be placed in the dishwasher for easy cleaning as well.
A locking lid will also come in handy for safety reasons and dummy proofing as well. Most spice grinders will not turn on if the lid is not locked in place or if the container is too full which may cause some problems when grinding larger ingredients.
Construction and Design
For the most part, spice grinders are constructed of similar materials. There are not very many different assemblies, but the materials need to be high quality like stainless steel and crack proof or heat resistant plastic. Most spice grinders can double as coffee grinders if they have a different set of blades, the blades are what makes the difference.
Most models will come with a standard grinding blade but there are some models that have interchangeable blades to handle different jobs like for grinding coffee beans versus grinding nuts and spices.
A container that is detachable will also be useful for transferring the ground spices as well as easy cleaning. A retractable cord will also come in handy to save on space, help the cord last longer and protect it when not in use.
As far as the motor goes, you want to make sure it is powerful enough and doesn’t overheat when in use. This can cause many problems in the long run.
Some models are easily operated with the press of a button while others just need to be pressed down on the top for a strong continuous grind or as a pulse grinder. Either way, you will want multiple speeds or different variations.
Maybe even a function that allows the blades to work in reverse as well. Bottom line is, make sure the product is a quality machine and will last a lifetime.
Best Spice Grinders
Secura Electric Coffee Grinder & Spice Grinder
The Best Spice Grinder
The first and best spice grinder on the list is a great quality product that may be perfect for you and your family. The grinder is also modestly priced at $30 and it also comes protected by a 2-year warranty.
The body and blades of the grinder are constructed of stainless steel and it also has a powerful-enough motor to grind just about anything. There is also 2 removable containers and two different sets of blades, one for chopping and one for grinding. The grinder has a built-in sensor that protects the motor from overheating and also a safety locking lid to prevent accidents. The cord is retractable to save on space and time. However, there is no settings for an allotment of time for grinding or a setting for how fine of grind you want the outcome to be.
- The spice grinder is very affordable and come with a 2-year warranty to protect it.
- There are two removable containers and two different sets of blades for grinding and chopping.
- The motor has a built-in sensor that shuts it off automatically if the grinder starts to overheat.
- There are no settings for grinding time or coarseness settings.
Cuisinart SG-10 Electric Spice-and-Nut Grinder
The Runner Up Spice Grinder
The spice grinder is constructed of sturdy plastic with super strong stainless-steel blades to grind the toughest of spices. The grinder is also equipped with a very powerful motor and a retractable cord for easy storing.
The push top lid makes it easy to turn the grinder on and off with ease. The container is removable and is also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. The container can hold up to 90 grams (3 ounces) of spices to be ground and the base has rubber feet to keep the grinder in place while it is in use.
- The grinder is equipped with a very strong motor and stainless-steel blades to grind up any and all spices.
- The container is removable and is also dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- The base of the grinder has rubber feet to keep it in place while grinding spices.
- The product is not protected by any warranty.
- Quality control could be better
SHARDOR Coffee & Spice Grinder CG618B
The Double Spice Grinder
This spice grinder is able to grind wet and dry ingredients. It is priced a little high when compared to other spice grinders, but it does come with a 2-year warranty to protect it.
The spice grinder comes with two different removable bowls for grinding wet or dry ingredients. The razor-sharp blades are constructed of stainless steel and can grind any substance to a powder in less than 15 seconds. The motor is powered by 200 watts which ensures safe and quality grinding every time you use it.
The removable parts are also dishwasher safe making cleanup a cinch. It comes with a 2-blade cup, a 4-blade cup, a small scoop with a brush and a user manual. It is very easy to use and easy to clean.
- The spice grinder has the capability to grind wet or dry ingredients.
- It comes with a 2-blade cup and a 4-blade cup which the blades are made of stainless steel and can grind anything in less than 15 seconds to powder.
- The parts are all removable and dishwasher safe.
- While it does come with a 2-year warranty, it is priced a little high when compared to others.
KRUPS Silent Vortex Electric Grinder
The Largest Vortex Grinder
This spice grinder is very large and is able to grind up to 12 cups of coffee beans at once. It is priced a little high and it does not come with a warranty to protect it.
It has two different speeds and is powered by strong vortex technology. The blades are constructed of stainless steel and it has a locking mechanism on the bowl. It can grind just about anything from herbs, coffee, spices or nuts in less than 15 seconds.
The removable bowl also comes with a lid to store away whatever you ground up. It is easy to use and easy to clean. The parts are all removable and everything is dishwasher safe. It will grind beans safely and it is whisper quiet when in use.
- The spice grinder has a large capacity and is able to grind coffee, nuts and spices up to 12 cups at a time.
- The vortex technology allows you to grind anything in less than 15 seconds with the strong stainless-steel blades.
- The removable cups are easy to clean as they are dishwasher safe and they come with a lid to store the finish ground product.
- The spice grinder is priced fairly high when compared to others and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Mueller Austria HyperGrind Precision Spice/Coffee Grinder
The Most Consistent Spice Grinder
This spice grinder will never fail you and will grind coffee every time without fail. It is very affordable to purchase but it does not come with a warranty to protect it. The body is constructed of hard white plastic and the blades are made of razor-sharp stainless steel that will not break or rust overtime. The motor that powers the spice grinder is very powerful and can grind just about anything while still staying very quiet while in use.
The spice grinder is small and compact and will fit anywhere on any kitchen countertop or can be stored away in small places. The cord is also retractable for storing purposes and safety reasons. The removable cup has a locking mechanism to keep everything intact while grinding and it is also very easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe.
- The spice grinder is a very powerful machine with German technology that will grind coffee or spices fast and efficient evert time.
- The spice grinder is very small and compact with a retractable cord and can be displayed on any kitchen countertop or stored in any small space.
- The blades are constructed of stainless steel, the lid has a locking mechanism and the removable parts are all dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- While the spice grinder is very affordable, it does not come with a warranty to protect it.
KitchenAid BCG211OB Blade Coffee and Spice Grinder
The Largest Capacity Spice Grinder
Our last spice grinder on the list has the largest capacity for ingredients being able to grind up to 4 ounces. However, this model is the most expensive on the list but does come with a 1-year warranty to protect it from damages and defects.
The spice grinder is constructed of quality stainless steel as well as the blades making it able to grind just about anything loaded in to it. There is a locking safety lid that is also clear so you can see how the grinding is going inside. The push top lid makes it easy to toggle the on and off switch. The grinder also comes with 3 different removable containers that are not only dishwasher safe but also have lids so you can store your coffee grounds or spices after grinding.
- The spice grinder is able to grind up to 4 ounces of ingredients at once whether it is spices, nuts or coffee beans.
- The grinder and blades are constructed of quality stainless steel.
- The grinder comes with 3 removable containers that are not only dishwasher safe but also have lids so you can store the ground coffee or spices.
- While the grinder does come with a 1-year warranty, it is the most expensive unit on the list.
- There are no settings for coarseness or time allotments.
No matter what spice grinder you decide to go with, make sure it is a quality machine that won’t break right away and if so, make sure it has a warranty to protect it. Make sure you are comfortable using the grinder and that it can grind not only spices but also nuts, vegetable and coffee beans. That way you only need one machine for all your grinding needs.