Hearty Chicken Stew
- 3 lb chicken jointed, or 4 chicken quarters, halved
- salt and pepper
- 2 level tbsp plain flour All purpose
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions peeled
- 2 parsnips peeled
- 2 large carrots peeled
- 2 large potatoes peeled
- 4 oz split red lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 garlic cloves peeled (optional)
- 15 oz can black eye or red kidney beans
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives optional
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and toss in the flour to coat lightly.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and brown the chicken in batches on all sides, remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the onions. Cut the parsnips, carrots and potatoes into chunks.
- Fry these vegetables in the casserole, adding a little extra oil if necessary, until lightly browned.
- Return the chicken to the casserole and add the lentils, bay leaves, bouquet garni, garlic if using and 900 ml (1 1/2 pint) water.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the lentils are soft and mushy.
- Drain and rinse the beans, then add to the casserole with the courgettes.
- Season and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the courgettes are just tender.
- If the sauce is too thin, retrieve a few spoonfuls of vegetables, mash them with a potato masher and return to the stew to thicken it slightly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and chives, if using, and serve.
Calories: 766 kcal
Carbohydrates: 74 g
Protein: 46 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 122 mg
Sodium: 167 mg
Potassium: 1992 mg
Fiber: 18 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 6094 IU
Vitamin C: 68 mg
Calcium: 205 mg
Iron: 10 mg