A simple quick recipe for Harem Pilaf. This is a dish that I have eaten in restaurants all over the world
- 6 large firm tomatoes
- 6 oz button mushrooms
- 1/2 Spanish onion finely chopped
- 3 1/2 oz butter
- 8 oz long-grain rice
- 4 tbsp dry white wine or cider
- 1 1/2 pint well-flavoured chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 avocado pear peeled and diced
- 3 oz chicken livers trimmed and diced
- Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4. Drop the tomatoes into boiling water and leave for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and skin them at once. Remove all the seeds and juice with a teaspoon (reserve for another dish) and dice and reserve the flesh.
- Slice or quarter the button mushrooms, according to size.
- Saute the finely chopped onion in 50 g (2 oz) butter in a medium-sized flameproof casserole until golden. Add the rice and stir over the heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Pour the dry white wine or cider and chicken stock over the rice. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Bring to the boil. Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until tender. After about 10 minutes, stir once with a fork.
- Meanwhile saute the sliced button mushrooms in 25 g (1 oz) butter in a frying-pan for 3 minutes. Add the finely chopped garlic, parsley, oregano, diced tomato flesh and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Scatter with the peeled and diced avocado pear and keep warm.
- In another pan, saute the diced chicken livers in 15 g (1/2 oz) butter for 2 minutes. Then stir the livers into the finished rice mixture with a fork.
- Form the rice into a ring on a warmed serving plate and fill the centre with the avocado and mushroom mixture. Serve at once.
Calories: 419 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Protein: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 88 mg
Sodium: 305 mg
Potassium: 506 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 2150 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 2 mg