'Primavera' is Italian for 'springtime' and this recipe uses fresh spring vegetables, which can be varied according to availability.
- 10 oz fettucine
- 4 oz broccoli florets
- 4 oz cauliflower florets
- 2 small young carrots
- 2 oz small white button mushrooms
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3 oz low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons low-fat yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1, Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Meanwhile, trim and divide the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. Peel the carrots and cut into small sticks about 2 in (50 mm) long. Slice the mushrooms thinly with the stalks still attached.
- Halve, core and de-seed the peppers, then cut them lengthways into thin strips. Thinly slice the onion and grate the cheese.
- Blanch the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Reserving the water, lift the vegetables from the water with a slotted spoon and put them in a colander, then drain again.
- Bring the pan of water to the boil again, ready to cook the pasta, adding more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan or casserole dish. Add the sliced onion and cook over a gentle heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the peppers and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the yoghurt, cream, 2 oz (50 g) of the cheese, and the cayenne. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, leaving the pasta cooked but slightly firm to the bite. Towards the end of the Cooking time, return the sauce to a very gentle heat and add the blanched vegetables.
- Stir the sauce and vegetables until heated through, taking care not to let the mixture boil, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Drain the pasta well and put into a serving bowl. Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Calories: 468 kcal
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Protein: 19 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 205 mg
Potassium: 711 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 6522 IU
Vitamin C: 105 mg
Calcium: 196 mg
Iron: 2 mg