The cheese must be very cold before cooking or it will melt before the breadcrumbs turn golden. Serve the cheeses immediately they come out of the oil while their centres are still hot and the coating is crisp.
- 4 Camembert triangle portions
- 1/2 oz plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 oz blanched almonds finely chopped
- 2 oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 4 to matoes each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Chill the cheese portions in the freezer or freezing compartment of the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Put the flour in a large polythene bag; season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly beat the egg in a shallow dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs and almonds and spread out on a flat plate.
- Add the cheeses to the flour and shake until well coated. Dip them into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs. Coat the portions in the egg and breadcrumbs again until evenly coated. Put on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the salad: divide the fruit into segments making sure that all white pith and any pips are removed then put the segments into a bowl and mix together with the sugar. Add the tomato wedges and mix well.
- Drain off any liquid then divide the salad mixture between 4 serving plates. Spoon over the olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.
- Pour enough oil into a deep-fat frier to cover the cheeses. Heat to 180°C (350°F), or until a stale bread cube browns in 60 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, lower the cheeses into the hot oil and deep-fry for 30 - 60 seconds until the coating begins to turn golden. Drain on absorbent paper and serve at once, with the salad.
Calories: 542 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 18 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 122 mg
Sodium: 1001 mg
Potassium: 781 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 17 g
Vitamin A: 2897 IU
Vitamin C: 72 mg
Calcium: 521 mg
Iron: 2 mg