This is a delicious cheesecake recipe that will make a perfect addition to your holiday dessert table.
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 oz caster sugar superfine granulated
- 6 oz ratafias finely crushed
- 1 tbsp rum
for the filling
- 12 oz full fat soft cheese
- 3 eggs separated
- good pinch of ground Mixed Spice All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice
- few drops of rum essence
- 4 oz caster sugar superfine granulated
- 2 level tbsp plain flour All purpose
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 1/4 pint double or whipping cream
- 2 oz chopped mixed peel
- 2 oz glace cherries chopped
- 1 oz sultanas golden raisins
- 1 oz nuts chopped
- grated rind of 1 orange
for the topping
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 egg white lightly whisked
- small sprigs of holly
- accompaniments you may need these
- Preheat an oven to 160°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
- Melt the butter or margarine and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir in the ratafia crumbs and rum.
- Press evenly over the bottom of a greased loose-bottomed 18-20 cm/7-8 inch round cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
- Soften the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks, mixed spice, rum essence, 50 g (2 oz) of the caster sugar, the flour, ground almonds and cream.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the remaining caster sugar.
- Fold lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture, together with the peel, fruit, nuts and orange rind.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until firm but still spongy to the touch.
- Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 1 hour.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the egg white and beat to give a stiffish smooth icing.
- Ease the sides of the tin carefully away from the cheesecake and lift the cheesecake out on the tin base.
- Spoon the icing over the top of the cheesecake and chill for 2-3 hours.
- Decorate with small sprigs of holly or a similar Christmas decoration.
Calories: 620 kcal
Carbohydrates: 72 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 149 mg
Sodium: 336 mg
Potassium: 189 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 53 g
Vitamin A: 1081 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 82 mg
Iron: 1 mg