Chicken and Leek Pudding
Delight your guests with this delicious chicken and leek pudding. The fluffy, soft texture is an unexpected delight.
- 4 chicken breasts total weight 1 lb, shredded
- 8 oz leeks trimmed and sliced
- 4 oz carrots peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 4 oz shredded suet
- 1/4 pint chicken stock
- Combine the chicken, leeks, carrots, plain flour, lemon rind and seasoning.
- Sift the self-raising flour with a pinch of salt and stir in the suet, with enough cold water to make a light manageable dough.
- Grease a 1.4 litre (2 1/2 pint) pudding basin. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and use two-thirds to line the basin.
- Turn the filling into the lined basin and spoon over the stock. Roll out the remaining pastry as a lid. Cover the basin and seal the edges well.
- Cut a piece of greaseproof paper and a piece of foil large enough to cover the basin. Place them together and make a pleat across the middle. Lightly grease the greaseproof side and put them over the pudding, greaseproof side down. Tie securely on to the basin, and make a string handle across the basin top.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Fit a steamer over the pan and steam the pudding, covered, for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Top up with boiling water as necessary.
Calories: 782 kcal
Carbohydrates: 57 g
Protein: 58 g
Saturated Fat: 16 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 165 mg
Sodium: 339 mg
Potassium: 1127 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 5751 IU
Vitamin C: 11 mg
Calcium: 65 mg
Iron: 3 mg