- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 2 large onions coarsely chopped
- 3 floz olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 6 tbsps fresh chopped parsley
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds crushed
- pinch of saffron strands or powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- pared rind of 1/2 orange
- 1 1/2 lb mixed firm fleshed fish: fillets or steaks of cod haddock, monkfish or hake
- 2 pints fish stock
- 5 floz white wine
- 1 1/2 lb mixed soft fleshed fillets of whiting sole or plaice
- 12 mussels scrubbed
- 1 squid prepared
- 6 fresh anchovies optional
- 3 leeks cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- toasted slices French bread
- Fry garlic and onion in oil until soft. Add tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes. Add 4 tbsps of parsley, and the herbs, spices and orange rind. Season, then lay the firm fleshed fish on top.
- Pour over the stock and wine, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the soft fleshed fish, mussels, squid, anchovies (if using) and leeks. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Discard orange rind and bay leaf. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the fish to a heated serving platter.
- Remove skin and bones and cut into pieces.
- Serve the broth separately with toasted French bread.
Calories: 315 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 30 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 90 mg
Sodium: 861 mg
Potassium: 816 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 1464 IU
Vitamin C: 21 mg
Calcium: 112 mg
Iron: 2 mg