Boeuf en Croute
- 9 oz plain flour
- pinch salt
- 8 oz butter
- water to mix
- 3 lb fillet of beef
- garlic clove
- 1 oz butter softened
- 2 oz smooth liver pate
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 size 3 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- Sift flour and salt into processor bowl. Add half of the butter and process together for 10 seconds, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sufficient water to mix to a soft dough ball. Chill.
- Place remaining butter between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper. Roll out a rectangle about 13 cm x 8 cm (5 x 3. inch)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a rectangle shape about 25 cm x 20 cm (10 x 8 inch.) Place rolled butter in the middle of the dough. Fold in the top and bottom thirds of the dough to enclose butter in parcel.
- Give the dough a half turn so that the side seam is on your left, sealing edges well. Roll into a rectangle again and fold in top and bottom thirds of dough as before. Wrap and chill pastry for 15 minutes.
- Repeat rolling, turning and folding pastry 4 more times, chilling between rollings.
- Trim any fat from fillet, roll it into a neat shape.
- Cut the garlic clove into slivers and insert them into the beef with the point of a sharp knife.
- Spread the softened butter over the top of the fillet and cook meat for 10 minutes in a roasting tin in the oven set at 220°C (425°F) Gas no.7. Remove beef from oven and leave to cool.
- Roll out the prepared puff pastry to an oblong 3 1/2 times the width of the fillet and 18 cm (7 inch) longer than the length.
- Spread the PƒÂ¢tƒÂ© over the top of the fillet, place the meat, PƒÂ¢tƒÂ© side down in the centre of the pastry and sprinkle with thyme.
- Fold the pastry over and under the meat, brushing the seams with water and sealing edges thoroughly.
- Turn the pastry over so that the join is underneath. Prick the top with a fork and decorate with leaves cut from pastry trimmings. Chill.
- Beat the egg with the oil and brush it over the pastry to glaze during cooking.
- Stand the pastry roll on a wet baking tray and bake in the oven for 35 minutes on 220°C (425°F) Gas No.7. The pastry should then be golden brown.
Calories: 835 kcal
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 35 g
Saturated Fat: 32 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 208 mg
Sodium: 320 mg
Potassium: 567 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 831 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 30 mg
Iron: 6 mg