Daube De Boeuf
- 2 1/2 lb rolled rump of beef
- 2 oz stuffed green olives sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 pint red wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp beef dripping fat from roasted meat or lard
- 3 floz brandy
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 to matoes skinned and roughly chopped
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon derinded
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- 1 bouquet garni
- Make several deep incisions in the joint of beef and insert the olive slices.
- Put the beef in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the wine and olive oil and pour over the beef. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Reserve the marinade.
- Melt the dripping or lard in a large flameproof casserole, add the beef and brown quickly over a high heat on all sides.
- Heat the brandy gently in a separate small pan or ladle.
- Turn off the heat under the casserole, pour in the brandy and set alight.
- When the flames have died down, remove the beef from the casserole and set it aside.
- Add the onion and carrots to the casserole and fry gently for 5 minutes until the onion is soft but not coloured.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well to mix, then remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon.
- Put the bacon rashers in the bottom of the casserole, then cover with the vegetables.
- Bury the garlic and bouquet garni in the vegetables, then place the beef on top and pour over the reserved marinade mixed with enough water to come halfway up the meat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and bring slowly to boiling point.
- Cover the casserole with tin foil or greaseproof paper, then the lid.
- Cook in the oven at 150°C (300°F/gas 2) for 2 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Blot the surface of the sauce with absorbent kitchen paper to remove as much of the fat as possible and remove the bouquet garni.
- Be sure to taste and adjust the seasoning of the sauce before serving.
Calories: 779 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 37 g
Saturated Fat: 20 g
Trans Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 153 mg
Sodium: 456 mg
Potassium: 966 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 6013 IU
Vitamin C: 16 mg
Calcium: 114 mg
Iron: 6 mg