Pumpkin-Shaped Cream and Sponge Dessert (Zuccotto)
This rich dessert makes a superb ending to a dinner party, and can be made ahead of time, if you prefer.
- 1 pint Double heavy cream, stiffly beaten
- 1 oz Icing confectioners' Sugar
- 2 oz Hazelnuts toasted
- 8 oz Fresh cherries halved and stoned (pitted)
- 4 oz Dark dessert semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or grated
- 2 floz Brandy
- 2 floz Orange-flavoured liqueur
- 2 x 20 cm 2 x 8 in Chocolate sponge cakes, halved horizontally
- 2 Tbs Cocoa powder
- Combine the cream and 25 g (1 oz) (1/4 cup) of icing (confectioners') sugar in a bowl. Fold in the hazelnuts, cherries and chocolate and chill the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Mix together the brandy and orange-flavoured liqueur.
- Line a 1 1/4 litres (2 pint) 1 1/4 quart pudding basin with three-quarters of the sponge, cutting it into pieces so that it fits the shape of the basin. Sprinkle the brandy mixture over the sponge lining. Spoon the cream mixture into the sponge cake, then use the remaining sponge to cover the top. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and run a knife around the edge of the pudding to loosen it. Invert a serving plate over the basin and, holding the two together, reverse them. The zuccotto should slide out easily.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining icing (confectioners') sugar over one-quarter of the pudding and half the cocoa powder over a second quarter, then repeat these over the other half of the pudding so that the zuccotto has four alternating segments of colour.
- Serve at once.
Calories: 3166 kcal
Carbohydrates: 172 g
Protein: 27 g
Saturated Fat: 136 g
Cholesterol: 648 mg
Sodium: 258 mg
Potassium: 1754 mg
Fiber: 20 g
Sugar: 128 g
Vitamin A: 7112 IU
Vitamin C: 22 mg
Calcium: 443 mg
Iron: 8 mg