- 6 medium potatoes scrubbed
- 2 oz butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 8 floz hot milk
- 3 medium eggs separated
- 4 oz cooked lean ham cut into pieces
- 4 oz cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted breadcrumbs to coat
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until just tender.
- Melt the butter in a deep pan, add the flour and stir to a paste over the heat, then cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the hot milk.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil, cooking until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat, add the egg yolks, ham, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes through a sieve or mouli, then beat into the sauce and leave until quite cold.
- Shape the mixture into egg sized balls.
- Whip the egg white lightly, roll the croquettes in the egg white, then the toasted breacrumbs.
- Heat the oil until a blue haze can be seen then carefully drop the croquettes into the oil and cook until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- Keep hot until all have been cooked. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Calories: 423 kcal
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Protein: 18 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 138 mg
Sodium: 471 mg
Potassium: 1062 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 669 IU
Vitamin C: 43 mg
Calcium: 224 mg
Iron: 3 mg