Macchi Pahalgami (Tender Fish Slices Cooked in Yoghurt)
- 2.2 lb White fish cut into firm, large slices
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 2 tsp Aniseed saunf powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger powder sonthi
- 7 oz Ghee / Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Ginger adrak paste
- 6 Dry red chillies sookhi lal mirch
- 2 tsp Cumin jeera seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander dhaniya powder
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 12 oz Yoghurt dahi, whisked Salt to taste
- Marinate the fish pieces in turmeric powder, aniseed powder, and dry ginger powder for 1 hour.
- Heat the ghee / oil in a wok (kadhai) and fry the fish, one piece at a time. Fry until the pieces change colour. (Do not overcook.) Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on absorbent paper.
- In the same ghee / oil add the ginger paste, dry red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander powder, and red chilli powder. Fry for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat and add yoghurt and cook until the ghee / oil separates from the masala. Add the fish slices and salt. Stir and simmer, keeping the wok covered, until the fish is well coated with the masala, and becomes tender.
Calories: 386 kcal
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Protein: 27 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Sodium: 97 mg
Potassium: 588 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 521 IU
Vitamin C: 49 mg
Calcium: 79 mg
Iron: 2 mg