Lavang Latika (Bengali flour crispies)
- 3 1/2 oz Refined flour maida
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- a few strands Saffron kesar, soaked in 1 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp Water
for the filling:
- 2 oz Wholemilk fudge khoya, mashed
- 2 tbsp Almonds badaarri, slivered
- 2 tbsp Pistachios pista, slivered
- 1/2 tsp Cloves laung, powdered
- 2 tbsp Sugar powdered
for the sugar syrup:
- 1 lb Sugar
- 24 floz Water
- 12 Cloves
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sift the flour and make a well in the centre.
- Add the oil and saffron, mix well. Add water gradually, and knead to make a hard dough. Cover the dough with a moist cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, mix the wholemilk fudge, almonds, pistachios, clove powder, and sugar together. Divide the filling into 12 equal portions.
- For the sugar syrup, boil the water with sugar till the sugar dissolves completely. Then simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into balls. Roll out each ball into 6 inch - diameter pancakes.
- Place one portion of the filling in the centre of each pancake and brush the edges with water. Fold the pancakes from one side to the centre and press firmly to seal in the filling. Repeat from the other side, to give a 2 inch -wide strip.
- Keeping the folded side out, bring the two ends together to make a ring with the strip. Brush the edges with water and press them firmly down to the centre to form squares. Secure each square with a clove.
- Heat the oil in a wok (kadhai); shallow fry the squares on low heat till crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen towels.
- Submerge these crispies in hot sugar syrup completely, turning gently. If required, soak for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove and drain the excess syrup.
- Arrange neatly on a serving dish and serve.
Calories: 482 kcal
Carbohydrates: 101 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Sodium: 13 mg
Potassium: 86 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 87 g
Vitamin A: 26 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 26 mg
Iron: 1 mg