A plombiere is an ice cream mixture containing almonds or chestnuts. It may be frozen in a decorative mould but is more often scooped into balls and piled up to form a pyramid. It is often served with a sauce poured over the top.
- 2 oz apricot jam
- few drops of lemon juice
- 8 egg yolks
- 4 oz caster sugar superfine granulated
- 1 pint single cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 oz ground almonds
- 8 floz double cream heavy cream
- 4 oz Almond Macaroons
- crushed 12 Ratafias to decorate
- accompaniments you may need these
- Unless using a free standing sorbetiere or churn, turn the freezing compartment or freezer to the coldest setting about 1 hour before making the ice cream.
- Make an apricot marmalade by boiling the apricot jam in a small saucepan with a few drops of lemon juice until thick.
- Keep a little aside for decoration and sieve the rest into a bowl.
- Combine the egg yolks and caster sugar in a deep bowl and beat together until very thick.
- Put the single cream in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Pour the cream over the yolks and sugar, stirring well. Return the mixture to the clean pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens. Do not allow it to boil.
- Pour the thickened custard into a large bowl and stir in the sieved apricot marmalade, the vanilla essence and the ground almonds. Cover closely with dampened greaseproof paper and cool.
- In a bowl, whip the double cream to the same consistency as the custard. Fold it into the custard, with the crushed macaroons.
- Spoon the mixture into a suitable container for freezing (a bowl that is deep enough to allow the ice cream to be scooped is ideal). Freeze the mixture until firm.
- To serve, scoop into balls, arranging these as a pyramid on a chilled plate. Drizzle the reserved apricot marmalade over the top and decorate with the ratafias.
Calories: 742 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Protein: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 28 g
Cholesterol: 406 mg
Sodium: 156 mg
Potassium: 159 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 27 g
Vitamin A: 1760 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 159 mg
Iron: 2 mg