Braised Stuffed Hearts
- 4 lambs hearts
for the stuffing
- 3/4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- Grated rind of half a small lemon
- 1 level tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 level tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp milk Salt and pepper
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 sticks of celery sliced
- 1 parsnip diced
- 1 oz dripping fat from roasted meat
- 3/4 pint water
- 1 beef bouillon cube stock cube
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- Wash the hearts thoroughly and leave to soak in salted water for 30 minutes. Use scissors or a sharp knife to remove the tubes.
- Mix together all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl and use to fill the cavities in the hearts.
- Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C) mark 4.
- Place all the vegetables in the bottom of a 3 pt (1.71) heatproof casserole.
- Melt the dripping in a frying pan and fry the hearts lightly on all sides to brown. Lift them out and place on top of the vegetables.
- Drain any dripping from the pan, add the water and crumbled bouillon cube and bring to the boil, stirring until well blended.
- Pour into the casserole. Cover with a lid or foil and cook in the oven for about 1 3/4 hours or until the hearts are tender.
- Lift out the hearts and arrange on a warm serving dish with the vegetables around.
- Blend the cornflour with a little cold water and stir into the casserole until the sauce thickens.
- Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to cook, then pour the sauce over the hearts.
Calories: 233 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 3936 mg
Potassium: 443 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 7776 IU
Vitamin C: 16 mg
Calcium: 91 mg
Iron: 2 mg