1. String, pick over and wash the fruit and mix it with the sugar and flour.
2. Roll out half the pastry and use it to line a 22-cm (8 1/2-in) greased deep pie plate.
3. Fill the plate with the fruit mixture and roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid.
4. Damp the edges of the pastry on the dish and cover with the lid, pressing the edges well together. Flake and scallop the edges, cut short slashes into the centre with a knife and brush the top with milk.
5. Put the plate on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for about 1 hour.
6. Cover it loosely with foil after 30 minutes to prevent over-browning.