1 2/3 cup (175 g) plain flour, (All purpose) sifted
1 teaspoon oil
for the filling
1 tablespoon oil
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 small onion
4 oz (110 g) mushrooms
4 oz (110 g) peas - frozen are fine
4 oz (110 g) cheese - Gouda or Edam are best
1 small red pepper
salt and black pepper
1. Beat the flour, eggs and teaspoon of oil together. Then beat in enough water to make a batter the consistency of single cream.
2. When smooth, put it to one side - in the fridge if you like - for up to 2 hours.
3. Finely chop the onion and red pepper, slice the mushrooms and chop up the cheese.
4. Take a large frying pan, 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) in diameter, and heat the tablespoon of oil and the butter until the butter stops sizzling.
5. Add the onion and red pepper (and the peas if you are using fresh ones), and stir until the vegetables begin to soften and the onion becomes translucent.
6. Light the grill as you will need it well heated. Give the batter a stir, then pour it into the frying pan with the vegetables. Add the frozen peas if you are using them, the sliced mushrooms and the cheese, season generously and press the cheese and vegetables into the pancake mixture.
7. Cook over a very gentle heat for 4-5 minutes. Put the frying pan under the hot grill for about a minute, until the top becomes golden brown and just a little crusty.
8. Serve it straight from the pan in wedges, like a cake. It is quite thick - at least half an inch (1 cm).