50 g (1 3/4 oz) 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
150 g (5 1/2 oz) ginger biscuits (cookies), crushed
25 g (1 oz) stem ginger (candied), chopped
500 g (1 lb 2 oz) mascarpone cheese
finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
100 g (3 1/2 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
2 large eggs, separated
fruit coulis, to serve
1. Grease and line the base of a 25 cm/10 inch spring-form cake tin (pan) or loose-bottomed tin (pan).
2. Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the crushed biscuits (cookies) and chopped ginger. Use the mixture to line the tin (pan), pressing the mixture about 6 mm (1/4 inch) up the sides.
3. Beat together the cheese, lemon rind and juice, sugar and egg yolks until quite smooth.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into the cheese and lemon mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into the tin (pan) and bake in a preheated oven, at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 35 - 45 minutes until just set. Don't worry if it cracks or sinks - this is quite normal.
6. Leave the cheesecake in the tin (pan) to cool. Serve with fruit coulis.
Fruit coulis can be made by cooking 400 g (14 oz) fruit, such as blueberries, for 5 minutes with 2 tablespoons of water. Sieve the mixture, then stir in 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar. Leave to cool before serving.
42 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!