You need a Japanese bamboo mat to shape the rolls.
- 12 oz Japanese rice or short grain rice
- 2 floz sake rice wine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 floz rice vinegar
- 3 sheets sushi nori seaweed
- Wash rice in cold water and lea veto stand for 1/2 hour. Place rice in saucepan with 17 fl oz (500 ml) water and a pinch of salt and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, reduce heat further for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Mix sake, sugarand vinegar in bowl, add rice and stir with a wooden spatula.
- Place a sheet of nori on bamboo mat and smooth 9 tbsps (135 ml) rice over, wetting fingers in water to stop rice sticking. Press rice right to bottom edge of nori, but leave 2 inches (5 cm) at top.
- Use the bamboo mat to form sushi roll, neaten edges with a damp cloth. Make up two more rolls, allow to cool. Use immediately
- or wrap in cling film and keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- to serve
- Dampen a sharp knife and cut each roll in half. Keeping the knife damp cut both halves in half again and then again to make eight pieces per roll.
- The Toppings
- Halibut and mock caviar
- Wash and skin 4 oz (125 g) fresh fillet of halibut and cut into very thin strips. Cut strips into 2 inch (5 cm) lengths and mix with 1 tbsp red lumpfish roe. Arrange a tsp of mixture on each sushi piece.
- Smoked salmon.
- Roll up 1/2 inch (1 cm) strips of smoked salmon and place on sushi, decorate with lemon.
- Herring. Cut 2 or 3 herring fillets into thin strips, place a strip on each sushi. Garnish with fresh thyme.
- Cockles. Place a tsp of cockles on each piece of sushi. Garnish with flat leaf parsley.
- Omelette. Beat 2 eggs with 1 tsp sake and a pinch of salt. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan, cook omelette, rolling it up in the pan when it has set. Cool and cut into 1/4 inch (5 mm) slices and place on sushi. Decorate with a dampened strip of nori, or flat leaf parsley.
Calories: 57 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 1 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 1 mg
Potassium: 18 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 16 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 4 mg
Iron: 1 mg