Potage Bonne Femme
- 1/2 lb potatoes
- 1/2 lb leeks
- 1/2 lb carrots
- 1/2 lb onions
- 2 pints chicken stock home-made or stock cube or water
- 1 oz butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Method Trim the leeks and wash thoroughly.
- Clean and peel the rest of the vegetables and cut them all into walnut-sized chunks.
- Melt the butter in a nice big saucepan until it is hot but not brown.
- Add the vegetables and turn in the butter over a fairly high heat until sizzling and golden.
- Add the salt and pepper - this gives a much more intense flavour than adding seasonings after the liquid - then put in the stock or water.
- Simmer gently for 15 - 20 minutes.
- When the vegetables are soft, either mash gently with a fork or process quickly in a food processor or liquidiser until smooth.
- If you need to, reheat it gently, and serve this lovely creamy soup in bowls with fresh, green parsley sprinkled on top.
- French bread or toasted granary bread is perfect with this. You may only need some cheese or fruit to follow.
Calories: 261 kcal
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 22 mg
Sodium: 446 mg
Potassium: 861 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 10688 IU
Vitamin C: 27 mg
Calcium: 82 mg
Iron: 2 mg