When soft summer fruits are in season, use as an alternative to the jam.
- 8 oz puff pastry
- 6 tbsp raspberry
- 10 floz whipped cream
- 4 oz icing sugar
- 2 oz plain chocolate melted
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 10 inch (30 cm) by 15 inch ( 37.5 cm) rectangle, about 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick. To ensure that the dough rises evenly and does not buckle during cooking, prick all over with a fork.
- Trim the edges, cut into three strips each 5 inches (7.5 cm) wide and place on dampened baking trays. Cover the trays with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake in a hot oven (Mark 7 (220°C) 425°F for 15 to 20 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Remove from trays and allow to cool completely on a wire rack — warm pastry would melt the filling. Stack pastry on a chopping board and trim with a large sharp knife.
- For the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl to remove any lumps. Make a well in the centre and add 1 tbsp warm water. Stir the mixture carefully, gradually incorporating all the sugar until the icing is smooth and glossy.
- Take one of the pastry layers, turn over so the flat side is uppermost. Pour the icing into the centre and spread evenly towards the edges with a palette knife dipped in hot water.
- Put the melted chocolate into a small piping bag fitted with a writing nozzle. Pipe straight lines across the width of the wet icing about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. With the tip of a sharp knife, drag through the piped chocolate at right angles first in one direction, then in the other in alternate lines to give the classic feathered effect.
- Allow the icing to set slightly, then cut into six equal slices using a long sharp knife dipped into hot water before each cut.
- To assemble, place first pastry layer on a flat platter and spread with half the raspberry jam and half the whipped cream.
- Place a second pastry layer on top and spread with the remaining jam and cream. Place the six iced slices in a layer on top. Chill for 15 to 20 minutes, then cut into six using a long sharp knife and serve immediately.
Calories: 696 kcal
Carbohydrates: 74 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 19 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 150 mg
Potassium: 218 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 42 g
Vitamin A: 514 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 90 mg
Iron: 2 mg