- 3/4 pint milk
- 1/3 pint double cream heavy cream
- pared zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds crushed
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbls caster sugar (superfine granulated)
- 2 level tbsp cornflour cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
for the berries in the cassis
- 1 lb strawberries
- 7 oz blueberries
- 4 Tbsp caster sugar superfine granulated
- 4 tbsp creme de cassis
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Place the milk, cream, lemon zest and crushed fennel in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Heat to boiling point, then set aside to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks, 125 g (4 oz) of the sugar and the cornflour together in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Strain the infused milk on to the egg yolk mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the cream thickens and almost comes to the boil; this will take 6-8 minutes.
- Immediately remove from the heat.
- Pour into six 150 ml (1/4pint) ramekins or custard pots. Allow to cool, then cover loosely with tin foil and place in the refrigerator overnight to set.
- Halve or quarter the strawberries, depending on size, and place in a bowl with the blueberries.
- Sprinkle with the caster sugar, cassis and lemon juice. Toss together, then cover and chill.
- Preheat the grill until very hot.
- Mix the remaining 50 g (2 oz) sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the custards.
- Place under the hot grill until the sugar has caramelised.
- Allow to stand for at least 20 minutes, before serving with the macerated fruit.
Calories: 398 kcal
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 237 mg
Sodium: 46 mg
Potassium: 278 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 47 g
Vitamin A: 771 IU
Vitamin C: 53 mg
Calcium: 129 mg
Iron: 1 mg