This honey cake is traditional among all European Jews at New Year's. Honey cake has a bad habit of sticking to the pan, so grease and flour it well, or line it with nonstick baking paper.
- 3 tablespoons margarine softened
- 4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 3 cups sifted whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds
- 6 almonds blanched and halved
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 12-inch cake pan or line it with nonstick paper.
- Beat the margarine in a bowl with the whole eggs and the sugar. Stir in the honey and coffee, and blend well.
- Sift the flour again with the baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and beat well. Lastly add the chopped almonds, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and arrange the almond halves in rows on top.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk with the water and brush over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour, or until the almonds are lightly browned and cake springs back when pushed gently with your finger.
- Cool cake completely in the pan before turning it out onto a wire rack.
Calories: 364 kcal
Carbohydrates: 64 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 202 mg
Potassium: 221 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 41 g
Vitamin A: 209 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 79 mg
Iron: 2 mg