Sambols are traditional accompaniments of curry serve 1 or all of them. They are often served in small dishes. For serving 10-12 people, double the quantities of ingredients are used here. Half a lemon should yield at least 1 table-spoon of juice.
- 8 oz tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk water and desiccated coconut
- 1 green chilli deseeded and sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 oz desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- pinch of chilli powder
- Make the tomato sambol: put the tomatoes into a bowl and stir in half the coconut milk, half the chilli and one-third of the onion. Mix well, then add 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- Make the cucumber sambol: arrange the cucumber slices in a shallow dish and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the coconut sambol: put coconut in bowl, pour over hot water and leave 15 minutes. Stir in chilli powder, one third of onion and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. Season with salt.
- Rinse and pat the cucumber dry and transfer to a bowl. Mix in the remaining coconut milk, lemon juice and almost all remaining green chilli and onion. Season with salt.
- Transfer sambols to individual dishes; garnish with onion and chilli rings and more chilli powder.
Calories: 94 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Sodium: 33 mg
Potassium: 225 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 340 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 17 mg
Iron: 1 mg