Stuffed Brisket with Orange and Sherry Sauce
- 3 lb boned brisket
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp marmalade
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 floz meat stock
- juice of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp medium cream sherry
- 3 to 4 ginger snaps crumbed (optional)
for the stuffing
- 1/2 pineapple peeled and grated
- 3 oz cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped almonds optional
- First prepare the stuffing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- To prepare the meat, sprinkle half the salt and pepper over the inside of the meat.
- Spread marmalade over meat, followed by stuffing, leaving 2 cm (3/4 inch) clear around the edges.
- Roll and secure meat with string and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Brown meat in heated cooking oil in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Heat meat stock, orange juice and sherry and add. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- If necessary, thicken liquid by stirring in the ginger snap crumbs.
Calories: 386 kcal
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 38 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 106 mg
Sodium: 643 mg
Potassium: 677 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 48 IU
Vitamin C: 32 mg
Calcium: 27 mg
Iron: 4 mg