1 medium sized cucumber, peeled
25 g (1 oz) butter
150 ml (1/4 pt) fish or chicken stock
150 ml (1/4 pt) dry white wine
15 g (2 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped or 10 g (1 tbsp) dried dill
20 g (4 tsp) cornflour
30 ml (2 tbsp) water
125 ml (4 fl oz) sour cream or yoghurt
salt and pepper
1. Coarsely grate the cucumber and put it into a saucepan. Add the butter and cook on a gentle heat just to soften the cucumber.
2. Add the stock, wine and dill and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Mix the cornflour with the water. Add it to the pan, cook gently until the sauce begins to thicken, stirring constantly.
4. Add the sour cream or yoghurt and warm it through. Season to taste.
5. Serve hot or cold, with salmon or other fish. Also good with poached eggs, potatoes, rice or pasta.