90 g (3 oz) packaged cream cheese, softened
1 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons coffee flavoured liqueur
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
125 g (4 oz) butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup milk
whipped cream flavoured with coffee liqueur for serving
1. Beat softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup of the sugar until light, blend in coffee liqueur and instant coffee and beat until smooth. Keep aside.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
4. Fold in sifted flour alternately with the milk.
5. Grease a 20 cm (8 inch) deep round cake tin and line base with greased greaseproof paper.
6. Pour batter into tin, add cream cheese-coffee liqueur mixture on top and swirl through batter with a knife.
7. Bake cake in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until cooked when tested.
8. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
9. Serve with whipped cream flavoured with coffee liqueur if desired.