serves 4 - 6
4 trifle sponge cakes (sponge fingers)
1 stick (8 Tbsp)4 oz (100 g) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup (100) 4 oz caster sugar (superfine granulated)
4 large eggs, separated
grated rind and juice of 2 medium lemons
pinch of salt
orange and lemon slices
1. Split each sponge cake into three slices.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Beat in the egg yolks, followed by the lemon rind and juice.
4. Whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff and fold into the creamed mixture.
5. Make alternate layers of sponge cake and lemon mixture in a 500 g (1 lb) loaf tin lined with bakewell or greaseproof paper.
6. Start and finish with sponge cake.
7. Cover and leave in the coldest part of the refrigerator (not the freezer) for at least 6 hours or overnight.
8. Turn out on to a serving plate and cover with whipped cream.