large knob of fat or dripping (fat from roasted meat)
1 kg (2 lb) shin of beef, cut into chunks
2 large onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon Bovril
1 teaspoon Marmite
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml hot water
1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree (paste)
3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
1. Melt the fat or dripping in a saucepan. Add the beef and fry until the chunks are browned on all sides. Remove them from the pan.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry until lightly browned.
3. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and chilli powder, then return the beef to the pan.
4. Mix the Bovril and Marmite into the hot water and stir half of this stock into the pan.
5. Add the tomato puree and peanut butter, then the remaining stock and mix well.
6. If necessary, add more water so that the meat is covered.
7. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
23 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Stews