1 lb (450 g) tripe, cut into finger sized pieces
1 pint (600 ml) milk
oil for deep frying
tartare sauce to serve
for the batter
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz flour
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml milk
1. Put the tripe into a saucepan with the milk, salt and pepper. Simmer gently for about 45 minutes or until tender. Drain well, reserving the milk to make the batter, if you like.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Add the egg and half the milk and beat in the flour, then gradually beat in the rest of the milk.
4. Dip the pieces of tripe in the batter and deep fry until golden brown.
5. Drain on paper towels and serve with tartare sauce.
43 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!