1 lb (450 g) middle steak of cod
1/2 teaspoon chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 small shallot, chopped
1 tomato, cut into eighths
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml white sauce
1 egg yolk
25 g (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
25 g (1 oz) Gruyere cheese,
grated salt cayenne pepper
1. Cut deep slits into the flesh of the fish.
2. Mix together the herbs and shallot and insert in the slits in the fish with the tomato segments.
3. Place the fish in a baking dish and sprinkle over a little salt and paprika.
4. Put the butter in the dish, cover and bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce. If necessary, heat the white sauce, then beat in the egg yolk. Add the cheese, salt and cayenne and stir until the sauce is smooth.
6. Serve the fish with the mornay sauce.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!