2 tbsp oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
100 - 150 g potato, cut in small chunks
150 - 200 g lean stewing beef, cubed
1 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
1 tsp tomato puree (paste)
1 tbsp gravy granules, made up with 200 ml boiling water
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
230 g can of chopped tomatoes with herbs
50 g button mushrooms
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C (325°F) gas mark 3.
2. Heat a 1 tbsp of oil in a small frying pan, and gently fry the onion, carrot and potato for 5 minutes. Transfer to a small casserole dish.
3. Roll the beef in the flour and fry in the remaining oil until brown all over. Stir in the tomato puree and transfer to the casserole dish.
4. Add the gravy, Worcestershire sauce and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Stir in the mushrooms, season well and cook for 30 minutes.
37 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!