This recipe is Vegetarian, Wheat free and Dairy free.
255 g (8 oz) 1 1/2 cups of black beans, soaked overnight in cold water and left covered in a cool place
1 onion studded with 2 cloves
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme
550 g (19 oz) 4 3/4 cups of courgettes (zucchini), trimmed and sliced
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
500 g (17 oz) 2 1/2 cups of sweetcorn kernels, drained (or the equivalent of frozen and defrosted sweetcorn kernels)
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
400 g (14 oz) 1 3/4 cups of capers in vinegar, drained
200 ml (7 fl oz) 3/4 cup of cider vinegar
300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups of olive oil
Gluten free chilli sauce/oil to taste
1 tablespoon of caster (superfine) sugar
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Drain the beans and cook them with the onion, bay leaves and thyme in salted, boiling water until soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
2. Drain and refresh them under cold water.
3. Transfer the beans to a huge salad bowl, remove the onion and herbs and discard.
4. Briefly cook the courgettes (zucchini) in boiling water so that they are still crunchy.
5. Refresh and drain under cold water.
6. Add the courgettes (zucchini), garlic, salt and pepper to the beans and mix well.
7. Leave to cool before mixing in the sweetcom, eggs, olives and capers.
8. In another bowl, beat the vinegar with the oil, chilli, sugar and three quarters of the parsley.
9. Add the dressing to the salad and mix gently.
10. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve, or chill until needed.