1 1/4 cups dried apricots
6 tablespoons caster sugar
125 g (4 oz) butter
2 cups plain flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
lemon icing (see below)
1. Soak apricots in 1 cup hot water for 1 hour.
2. Cook apricots with 3 tablespoons sugar until soft.
3. Puree and cool.
4. Rub butter into sifted flour and baking powder.
5. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and mix to a firm dough with the egg, chill.
6. Divide dough in half. Roll out and line a 28 x 18 cm (11 x 7 inch) greased slab cake tin with half the dough.
7. Spread with apricot puree, sprinkle with remaining sugar and cinnamon.
8. Cover with remaining rolled pastry, brush with milk.
9. Bake in a hot oven 200-230°C (400-450°F) for 10 minutes, lower heat to moderate 180-190°C (350-375°F) and cook for a further 20 minutes.
10. When cold, ice with lemon icing. Cut into fingers.
for the lemon icing
1. Sift 1 cup icing sugar into a bowl, add 1 tablespoon melted butter and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
2. Mix to a spreading consistency with boiling water. Colour with yellow food colouring.