Calories per serving 185.
makes 8 wedges
225 g (8 oz) self raising white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
50 g (1 3/4 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
75 g (2 3/4 oz) half fat Red Leicester cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
150 g ml (5 fl oz) skimmed milk
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220°C/fan oven 200°C.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing'bowl with the salt and mustard powder Rub in the margarine, using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and make a well in the centre.
3. Beat together the egg and milk and pour this into the well. Mix together the dry and wet ingredients to form a soft dough. Shape the dough into a 20 cm (8 inch) circle and place it on a non stick baking tray.
4. Mark eight wedges on the surface of the dough.
5. Bake the scone for 15 minutes, until it is well risen and golden.