serves 6 - 8
150 g (5 oz) shortening
2/3 cup (150 g) 5 oz sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups (300 g) plain flour (All purpose)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
200 ml (1/3 pint) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 oz (50 g) walnuts, chopped
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt double cream (heavy cream)
little caster sugar (superfine granulated) to taste
glace cherries and citron to decorate
1. Cream together the shortening and sugar.
2. Beat in the eggs. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
3. Beat in the vanilla essence and walnuts.
4. Divide the mixture between two 18 cm (7 inch) greased sandwich tins.
5. Bake in a preheated' moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 for 45 minutes. Cool.
6. Whip the cream with caster sugar to taste.
7. Turn the cakes out of the tins and sandwich them together with half the cream.
8. Spread the remaining cream over the top.
9. Decorate with glace cherries and thin strips of citron.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!