675-900g (1 1/2 - 2 lb) sea bream (white snapper or porgy)
butter for greasing
juice 1 lemon
1 bunch Watercress (salad cress)
2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz butter
1 level tbsp (15 ml) wholemeal flour (whole grain)
30 ml (2 tbls) chopped parsley
275 ml (1/2 pt) fish stock
2 egg yolks
1 tsp (5 ml) made English mustard
1. Skin the fish and make stock with the skin.
2. Cut the fish into even-sized serving pieces and lay them on a lightly-buttered ovenproof dish.
3. Sprinkle them with lemon juice and leave them for 1 hour at room temperature.
4. Heat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C (375°F).
5. Cover the fish with foil and bake it for 20 minutes.
6. While the fish is cooking, prepare the sauce.
7. Finely chop the watercress.
8. Melt the butter in a saucepan on a low heat.
9. Stir in the watercress and cook it gently for 1 minute.
10. Stir in the flour and mustard and cook them for 1 minute.
11. Stir in the stock and bring it to the boil.
12. Add the parsley and simmer the sauce for 2 minutes.
13. When the fish is cooked, lift it onto a warmed serving dish and keep it warm.
14. Pour all the juices from the cooking dish into the sauce.
15. Beat the egg yolks together in a bowl and gradually beat in 90 ml (6 tbls) of the sauce.
16. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and reheat gently without boiling.
17. Pour the sauce over the fish before serving.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!